Friday, March 12, 2010

LIFE IS SHORT, PICK A NICE DRESS

Even though I have several "adopted" mothers, I only had one birth mother. Life would have been much more complicated if I had more than one.
Today would have been my mother's 93rd birthday and she is much remembered with peach rococo roses and candles beside her portrait.
Some forty years ago we went together to buy her an evening dress for a reception that she was going to attend with me. She looked fantastic in a Pierre Cardin long black number totally buttoned down with Swarovsky crystal clusters from the beginning of the cleavage to above the knees where it opened even though the buttons aligned until reaching the hem. 
The surprise were the silk stockings in a faint smoke aqua that echoed the color of a couple of silk organza peonies perched on her left shoulder. Way to go, Pierre!!!
We both felt on top of the world. She looked stunning and I was happy for her.
If we only knew that we were picking the dress that many years later she will choose to wear for her funeral we would probably have paid more attention to it.
When she knew it was her time to go and I was thousands of miles away she requested to be dressed again in that fabulous dress.
She knew that she was going to be always remembered on her birthday and she wanted, as usual, to be properly dressed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What an absolutely gorgeous lady! I have no doubt that the reason that dress was so special to her was because of the memories of the time with you! We tend to forget that small things we do with loved ones are often the most precious. Being a mother of sons, I can attest to moments in time where each of my sons have taken time out of their busy lives to do something with or for me. Those moments are my most treasured possessions.
    Felix, thank you for giving your mother not only a stunning dress, but a gift for her heart!
    What a good son!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete