Monday, February 8, 2010

THE CAT THAT WON THE LOTTO

I am a sucker for cats. I love their aesthetics, their false independence.
One morning on my daily walk noticed two girls feeding and caressing a beautiful black and white cat. Silently admired it and continued my walk. "You already have two cats" I admonished myself.
That evening while having dinner with Manuel the phone rang. It was our neighbor across the street who keeps keys to our house.
"Felix", she said, "there is a cat standing at my porch and every time I open the door wants to get in the house...and I can't let him in because my husband is terribly allergic. It is a black and white cat, is this one of yours?"
"No", I responded, "but you can send your husband to sleep in the garden shed and let the cat in." She wasn't terribly amused so I hung up not without saying "I'll be there"
I knew the cat must have been the one I saw that same morning.
Run across the street and saw it. Our eyes locked. I talked to him in Spanish cat language and he came to me, jumped in my arms and went home with me.
"Look what the cat brought" I said to Manuel and we both knew the future of that furry thing.
Living in the lap of luxury inside the house was his destiny.
It was probably abandoned for a couple of weeks because even though it is a large cat of about 1 year of age it was thin and had two infected wounds on one hip.
He must have been an inside cat, properly trained, Spanish speaking.
Its been 10 days now. He still eats with desperation but gained weight and suffers the Abandoned Cat Syndrome. He follows you everywhere: from the bathroom to the office, to the kitchen, to the living room and back to the bathroom and stays near you at all times. Almost like a dog.
He confessed to me the other day that he won the lotto and the prize was to stay with us.
Same as people some cats are luckier than others.

1 comment:

  1. Well, he absolutely found THE home to live in! He is just beautiful, and I bet he has plans to be included in all future designer photos of your projects! A STAR in the making!

    ReplyDelete